Welcome to the website of the Children and Adolescent Cancer & Blood Diseases Center at the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center and the Division of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation at New York Medical College in Valhalla, NY, in Westchester County.
This website was developed for patients, families, referring physicians, students, residents, fellows and interested parties who would like to obtain additional information about our clinical, educational and research programs. Our dedicated mission includes:
- Providing “state of the art” and “customized” quality care in children and adolescents with cancer, blood, and genetic disorders;
- Developing new methods of preventive, diagnostic, innovative and therapeutic strategies for children and adolescents with cancer, blood and genetic diseases;
- Conducting scholarly clinical, translational and basic science research in childhood and adolescent cancer, blood and genetic conditions;
- Implementing translational “state of the science” therapy incorporating cellular, gene and regenerative therapeutics, targeted therapy and personalized curative strategies;
- Promoting psychosocial well-being, long-term survivorship and palliative and end of life care;
- Educating and mentoring future generations of bright and caring healthcare professionals in the diagnosis and treatment of children and adolescents with cancer, blood and genetic illnesses.
We provide a multidisciplinary and personalized medicine approach to the diagnosis and treatment of each patient under our care. We have an outstanding training program for residents and fellows and have an ACGME approved fellowship training program. Our center has “state of the art” and cutting-edge clinical, translational and basic research programs. We have recently built and opened a GMP Cellular and Tissue Engineering Laboratory (CTEL) to perform translational research in cellular, gene and regenerative therapy.
We have superb multidisciplinary programs in Pediatric Hematological Malignancies, Solid Tumors, Neuro-Oncology, Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation, Developmental Therapeutics, Hemostasis/Thrombosis, Hemoglobinopathies (Sickle Cell Disease), Bone Marrow Failures, Primary Immune Deficiencies, Supportive and Palliative Care, Wellness and Survivorship and Cellular Therapeutics.
Please contact me if you would like any additional information and/or to refer a patient to our center for evaluation and treatment.
Mitchell S. Cairo, MD
Chief, Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation
Director, Children and Adolescent Cancer & Blood Diseases Center
Medical and Scientific Director, Cellular and Tissue Engineering Laboratory, WMC
Medical Director, Hematotherapy Program, WMC
Associate Chairman, Department of Pediatrics
Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, Pathology, Microbiology & Immunology and Cell Biology & Anatomy
Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at
Westchester Medical Center
New York Medical College